I really do believe that what is meant to be will be. I have written other blog posts about Destiny and Karma, and every time I think I am in control of my universe I get smacked up side the head with another lesson that proves the universe has a plan and we don’t always know what it is.
The journey is not smooth, nor is it a straightforward path, and it is sometimes filled with frustration, anger, sadness, and reflection. In the end, more often than not, the next destination is where we are meant to be at that particular moment in our life.
So here we are almost 7 weeks removed from a coaching relationship that lasted nearly 7 years. A relationship that took me from “working out” to running half marathons; from no weights to powerlifting, from “What abs?” to knowing what it feels like to breathe through a lift. In retrospect I can now see why it was time to move on. Although I disagree with the manner in which it was communicated and ultimately played out, in the end, It was about finding a trainer that was a better match.
Being forced to look for a new trainer forced me to think about what mattered to me, what I was looking for in a trainer, and ultimately, what would take me to my next level of fitness.
After a couple of false starts, I ended up in a place that seems to be a good fit for me, it is called Gain Strength and Conditioning. Although there are similarities in principle, passion, and basic things like convenience and schedule, there are subtle differences that I didn’t even know mattered to me:
- Less talk, more listening, and an open conversation and willingness to answer questions about philosophy, form, technique and the biggie for me, “Why?”
- Being true to your mission- stick to what you believe in, no matter how annoying I can be about what I used to do or how I used to do it
- Asking about music
- Using the website and social media as a tool!
- No mirrors at the gym!
- Honoring everybody’s time
- Sharing information, and understanding my need to understand
- Incorporating mobility moves
- Having a plan and explaining what it is and what the goals are
- Posessing skills and knowledge but sharing that expertise in the context of a teachable moment
I guess I am not your typical person looking for personal training to get into shape, but I am happy to be taken seriously and challenged to be in the best shape I can be so that I can remain injury free and strong enough to do the activities I love to do.
I really never thought I would be at such a positive place so soon, but the universe had other plans, so I am going to leave it at that.